Saturday, January 16, 2010

Gorilla Style, Guerilla Tactics

Back in November, my friend Carlo Garcia, head of clothing company Manila Gorilla, approached me to discuss a project he wanted me to help him out with. What we intended to do was highlight a few bboys from New York City around the time of Red Bull BC One in order to garner more hype around the arrival of such a big battle to the mecca of hip hop.

The premise of the video was basically "Show us what you got in one minute". With the third member of the project, Ryan 'Hydroponikz' Abugan, video editor (and emcee extraordinaire), we'd record and put out a one minute clip of our subjects showcasing their best stuff.

Our first video was on BREAKS Kru's own ERock.



The video basically hit the viewer over the head I guess you could say with a quick barrage of moves pretty much like a guerilla attack. From here we were able to coin a name for the whole project. By the time this was all done and put together, we knew we working with something that had to go beyond just a handful of bboys.

The next bboy we showcased was Frankie from Supreme Beings Crew out of Queens. Here's his video.



Unfortunately, the project has been temporarily put on hold. I myself have had to take some time off to myself since I just started my career as a registered nurse, and Hydroponikz has recently taken on another project, as well. One of our biggest problems was finding a place to film. Once the biting cold of a New York City winter dies down, we'll have the opportunity to film in a wider range of locations. However, although nothing is being filmed currently, there has been much brainstorming in what we could do to further the project, and basically we won't be limiting ourselves to NYC's top bboys. We plan on expanding to other artists in the hip hop community.

The project might be on hold, but I promise you this is only the beginning of it all.

Michael 'Suitkace' Capito