Monday, April 26, 2010

GURU -"REST IN PEACE!!!"


Last week we lost another Hip hop legend, Guru from GangStarr. On behalf of Breaks Kru I would like to acknowledge his greatness and send our condolence to his family and friends. 

Years back I was at BB Kings, for the RSC Anniversary after party chillin' with some Bgirls from Canada. We were there before the Bboy crowd arrived -because we were on the deuce catching a flick, drinking and -spaz'n out. The spot was filled with regular club goers because the Anni was still going on. We were in the corner of the club Breakin' and came off on some free drinks from these dudes in VIP that happened to be from Bushwick. 

A few rounds later this dude taps me on the shoulder and was like "Yo shorty..you got maaad style...you nice kid!" -I turn around and it was Guru. I was ud gassssssed!!! I played kool like -"Ight -thanks faaam." He was there witha female so I just gave'em a pound and kept it moving..ya know? A little while later the Dj throws on "Dwyck" and everyone started  Goin' off!! 

When Guru's verse came in he walked into our lil cipher like..."I chant eenie meenie, minie moe -I wreck da mic like a pimp pimps hoes... " and just started doing his whole shyt. -Yo...I nearly lost it!!! On top of that these Bgirls didn't even know who he was!! -I had to be like..."YO!!!! That's him!!! That's Guru!!!!"  

The rest of the night ended up being maaad ill. I Battled Easy Rock and Legacy and got into a little incident with "your other manz" and had like 3 big ass bouncers kick me out the club...LOL."Good times"!!!!! 

Looking back on that moment makes me appreciate growing up in the New York  during the 80's and 90's. Hearing that Guru passed made me feel like I lost a part of my childhood. Let his life and his music be celebrated..and his death be a reminder that we shouldn't take our health, loved ones or our culture for granted. 
Rest In P*E*A*C*E, G.O.D!!! 
Thank you for your music and inspiration....This one is dedicated to you Faaam.

WaAaK Uno
Breaks Kru